Sunday, January 3, 2010

You Never Forget Your First

I actually did forget my first, however.
I was wondering what date I should begin this blog with, and it was only fitting to begin with my first date, right? So I was thinking of how to put it into writing, because it was actually a good date and I wasn't sure how to open a crazy-date blog with a description of a perfectly normal one. But it was then that I remembered my "real" first date, which was also my first "relationship". I'm not really sure it counts as a real relationship though because of two things: first, a real junior high dating experience is rare (I certainly know mine wasn't memorable, obviously. :D ), even if you like your significant other beyond the fact that "he's cute and likes my favorite band". And second because of the fact that I just used quotation marks twice in one sentence regarding it. So mistake number 1 - dating before age 16, because let's face it, nobody is mature at that age, even if we are more so than our friends at the time. Ahh, so the Prophets know what they are talking about!
So anyway, I liked this boy and he liked me, so he asked me if I wanted to "hook up". (There are those quotes again) "Well sure, I'd like to 'hook up'; I assume that means go steady." Our first date, (Notice how we "hooked up" before we went out on a date - mistake number 2) was to a region dance. Ohhh, the memories. My parents gave us a ride and arranged to pick us up after. But once we were there at the church, you wouldn't have known we had "hooked up" earlier that week. (I apologize, I just really like emphasizing how lame of a term "hooking up" is, and so I must quote it every time.) We didn't spend any time together. In fact, he spent the whole night with another girl. Oh, wait, scratch that - he danced with me once. So when he found me later that night, his excuse was that he knew this girl from preschool. PRESCHOOL. Who remembers their preschool playmates?! I don't remember half the people I met last year, let alone preschool! But it was okay, it was fine; I just went home.
....I think he found a ride.

Needless to say that ended quickly. He went on to high school and when I followed the next year we became friends. That's what I do with a guy once I've dated him: put him in the friend jar, screw on the lid and poke little holes in it. They don't mind so much. And I don't mind so much either - I've made a lot of friends out of my romantic rejects, and we've developed strong, tight bonds that I have greatly appreciated and that have not compared to many other friendships I have made under different circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. I really wanted to smack that boy. Nobody messes with my babies. Of course, nobody is good enough for my babies, either!

    ReplyDelete