Thursday, January 21, 2010

To Bowl Part II

I just realized that I forgot to blog last Sunday. (Oh snap) So here is the exciting conclusion to my last post:

I bowled.
It was so fun.
(What?!)
Yep, fun!

I drove down to American Fork and met him in a big, dark parking lot next to the freeway (yes, it's as creepy as it sounds), then we drove off to reserve our lane for COSMIC BOWLING because it is apparently so amazing and so great that you have to reserve it fast. And hey, it was pretty fun. So we reserved, and then we went to Del Taco for a shake. Yeah, of all the things to get at a Mexican place, we got shakes. Then we went back to the bowling alley (because you can start reserving lanes at 9, but bowling doesn't start until 10 or 10:30) and met his friends that were bowling with us. They were cool too. People kept joining our party until we had 8 people with us, which made it awesome. Then he drove me back to my car and I drove home.

But the thing I want to talk about is how different of a dating experience it was for me...

...because like I said before, I had fun. I don't get that very often. I'm not being rude or dramatic - that's just how it's been. Usually I am striving for decent conversation that goes beyond the one thing you know you have in common (which I absolutely hate and which I will also emphasize in a couple other dates), or am just with someone who gives me such strange and mixed feelings that I can't even think about having a good time; but this was neither. We talked about so much, from camping to past jobs to feeding wild animals from our hands to the nasty stuff we've found in our fast food orders. We had a lot in common, but we didn't dwell on those topics - there was always something else we could talk about. I didn't get any weird vibes and was very comfortable being there.
His friends were way awesome too. Usually I don't like going out with someone who knows a bunch of other people who are going to be there, because then you're left out of the circle a bit and it's nothing but boring and weird for you, right? But nooooo his friends were always talking to me, asking me about myself, making funny comments, etc. and I felt like we were all friends just there hanging out and playing some cosmic bowling, because that's just what we do on our weekends like it's nobody's business.
I still sucked epically - especially since my date and one of his friends were so dang good, but it wasn't an issue. I even bowled in my own particular fashion, as I mentioned before, and everyone else sort of did their own little weird bowling things too, so it was like one big party where I wasn't the only dork. And the peasants rejoiced.

I didn't really learn anything here, except that things aren't always what they seem. I just had a lot of fun and I think I made a great friend (or many friends) out of it.

1 comment: